Senior Accountant – Leeds (Hybrid)
Are you an accounting superhero? Do you use your superpowers to support business owners on their growth journeys? We’re actively recruiting a Senior Accountant to join the growing team of a forward-thinking Leeds accountancy practice as a Virtual Finance Director.
Our client leverages technology and offshoring to offer start-up businesses the support they need to increase their growth velocity, maximise their valuation, and achieve their full potential. They are a digital accountancy business based in Leeds, born in the cloud and living in the future for their client base.
Reporting to the Founder & CEO, this is an opportunity to work with a small-but-agile company as a Senior Accountant supporting small businesses on the path to sustainable business growth. As a Virtual FD, you’ll be the human interface between clients and the incredible Operations Team based in the Philippines. They will support you with a full-stack support function to do all the heavy lifting to provide you with accurate real-time data, insights, and reports on our client’s financial wellbeing.
- Financial Analysis: Conduct thorough financial analysis, including reviewing financial statements, identifying trends, and presenting insights to clients to aid in decision-making processes.
- Strategic Planning: Collaborate with clients to develop long-term financial strategies aligned with their business goals, provide guidance on capital investment, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Financial Reporting: Prepare accurate and timely financial reports, including profit and loss statements, cash flow statements, and balance sheets, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Budgeting and Forecasting: Assist clients in developing comprehensive budgets and forecasts, monitoring performance against targets, and recommending adjustments as needed.
- Cash Flow Management: Evaluate cash flow requirements, optimize working capital, and provide recommendations to improve cash flow efficiency and mitigate financial risks.
- Risk Management: Identify and assess financial risks, implement appropriate controls, and advise clients on risk mitigation strategies to safeguard their financial interests.
- Financial Operations: Oversee day-to-day financial operations, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and financial systems, ensuring accuracy and efficiency.
- Stakeholder Management: Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, such as executive teams, investors, and auditors, to provide financial insights and support decision-making processes.
- Compliance and Regulatory: Stay updated on financial regulations and compliance requirements, ensuring adherence to relevant laws and industry standards.
- Team Leadership (Optional): If applicable, lead a team of finance professionals, providing guidance, mentoring, and fostering a collaborative and high-performing work environment.
Face-to-face client meetings will be required from time-to-time, and will currently be in places like Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool and London. Your travel costs to and from meetings will be covered by the company. You’ll be a superhero in your clients’ eyes as you’ll make a profound difference to their financial success.
- Recognised accounting qualification (ACA / ACCA / CIMA / ICAEW)
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in finance and accountancy, ideally in a practice environment
- Preparation and review of management accounts, statutory accounts, VAT returns, Corporation Tax returns, would be an advantage
- Experience of a client-management role within an accountancy practice would be an advantage
Values & Mindset:
- Dare to be different – you’re not afraid to think, speak and act in a way that’s opposite to the status quo, conventional wisdom, and common sense
- Extreme ownership – you’re able to bring energy & positivity to every project and task – even when things aren’t going as expected or planned
- Growth mindset – you’re on a mission to be continuously improving & learning new skills, new tools, new ways of working that will increase your performance levels
- Super communication – you’re able to communicate with our team and with our clients using the right channel, with the right tone, at the right time
- Naturally collaborative – you’re able to partner with others to create awesome results
- Logical brain – you can understand the flow of a process, break it down into steps, and create clear and comprehensive instructions for others to follow
- Build relationships – you’re honest, reliable, friendly and warm with other people
- Agile – you seek feedback early and change course when needed, valuing continuous improvement over delayed perfection
If you like to use your initiative and creativity, rather than sticking to what you’ve been asked to do, this is definitely the place for you.
- Punctuality – being on time for all of our scheduled meetings
- Connectivity – strong internet connection wherever you’re working from, with enough bandwidth to participate in video calls
- Environment – when working away from the office you will need a quiet location which is free from background noise and distractions
- Commitment – we each provide full commitment in each other so we can work together for our mutual benefit
- Connectivity – access to a quiet space free from background noise will be needed for video and telephone calls
- Location – Leeds or easily commutable to Leeds
- Eligibility – must be a UK resident or citizen and legally authorised to work for a UK-based company without sponsorship from our client
What’s in it for you?
You will use your knowledge and skills to do immense good by helping purpose-driven start-ups to make an impact on their community, wider society, and the planet. Come ready to change the world — one start-up business at a time 🤘
- Role title: Virtual Finance Director
- Salary: £45,000 – £50,000 DOE
- Work pattern*: 37.5 hours per week on a semi-flexible basis; 4 of 5 days a week in the office for the first 3 months in the role
- Contract type: Full-time employment contract, with a 6-month probationary period/break clause
- Location**: Leeds (Hybrid)
*If you’re a parent to school-age kids, we’re happy to make this a ‘school hours only’ and ‘term time only’ arrangement on a pro-rated salary. So you’d never be required to work when the kids are at home, and you can focus on being Mum or Dad.
**Our client’s office is in Leeds. Once onboarded, our client is open to you carrying out your responsibilities from a location suitable for delivering your role as long, as you are able to easily commute to Leeds or London for internal and/or client meetings when required.
Does this sound like the role for you? We’d love to see your CV — apply today!