Bookkeeper – Gloucester (Hybrid)
Our client is expanding their team due to exciting and continued growth. This is a fantastic opportunity for a Bookkeeper with a VAT speciality to join the small team (10-20) in a leading and innovative Gloucester accountancy practice. As a Bookkeeper and VAT Guru you’ll play a fundamental part in helping business owners get a grip on their finances so they can take leaps toward achieving their goals.
About the Company
Our client is fuelled by helping business owners to stop surviving and start thriving. They are also focused on the quality of life of their team and support a healthy work-life balance. This is a fast-paced, growth-driven company that incorporates achieving results with a fun and relaxed working environment.
About the Role
You’ll need to be highly organised with a keen eye for detail. Your day-to-day tasks will consist of minimal bookkeeping, with a main focus on managing the VAT department. This includes; VAT preparation, VAT reviews, questions surrounding VAT, keeping the team up to date with changes in VAT legislation. Also as part of your role, you will be completing management accounts preparation as well as some admin duties too. The role has the opportunity to develop into more support on advisory services such as cash flow forecasting, budgeting and more.
As an overview, your tasks will involve:
- Data input
- Bank reconciliation checks
- Debtors & Creditors analysis
- VAT reconciliation
- Preparation and filing of VAT Returns
- VAT advice to clients and colleagues
- Review of VAT returns
- Management of VAT filing deadlines and workflow
- Bookkeeping quality control
- Answering client queries
- Maintaining organised online filing systems
- Notetaking and write-ups
- Management accounts preparation
- Reviewing and updating processes
For the right candidate there will be opportunities to grow and develop mainly into management accounts-related roles with finalising of management accounts, video analysis, cash flow forecasting, budget setting and KPI performance analysis.
Please note VAT skills and knowledge are essential to this role beyond a basic level. You’ll be expected to have knowledge and understanding around domestic reverse charge, TOMS, partial exemption, group VAT and some other areas too.
Does this sound like you?
If you can answer yes to all the below then this role is perfect for you!
- 4 years of bookkeeping experience
- 4 years of extensive experience with VAT
- Experience with Xero or the willingness to become highly proficient with the software
- Do you love being organised?
- Do you believe attention to detail is super important, and something you are passionate about?
- Do you like working with numbers?
- Are you experienced with Bookkeeping and VAT returns?
- You have knowledge of other VAT areas such as TOMS, Group schemes, domestic reverse charge, partial exemption.
- Do you ask questions to understand how you can make a greater impact?
- Do you enjoy challenges and recognise when to ask for help and when to keep pushing on?
- Would you enjoy working with financial data and processes?
- Are you keen to practice regular self-improvement/personal development?
- Are you looking to work 35 hours per week?
- Do you like being recognised for all the hard work you put in?
What’s in it for you?
- Position: Bookkeeper (VAT Controller)
- Location: Gloucester / Hybrid
- Salary: £24,000 – £28,000 (DOE)
As well as getting to be a team member in a leading innovative accountancy practice you will also get:
- Opportunity to work from home (for the right candidate)
- 35 hour work week
- Finish at 2.30pm on a Friday
- 34 days annual leave (includes 2 week Christmas close down)
- 2 weeks off over the festive period
- Christmas bonus
- Clear steps for growth in your role and salary
- Regular fun (sometimes competitive) team get-togethers
- Quarterly scheduled input on company direction
- Full training and support
- Company pension
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you, we would love to see your CV – apply today!